Home News March for tomorrow to mark Tiffany Morrison’s disappearance

March for tomorrow to mark Tiffany Morrison’s disappearance


It’s been 10 years since Tiffany Morrison’s life came to a tragic end.

The 24-year-old mother was last seen leaving the Hiraki Bar in LaSalle to take a taxi back to Kahnawake on June 18, 2006.

Her remains were found in a wooded area beside the Memorial Bridge four years later.

“It’s been too long,” said her sister Melanie Morrison. “There needs to be a big push to put it back out there and get people talking.”

Melanie is organizing a vigil and march tomorrow morning to mark the decade that has passed since her life was taken. She feels many people, even in Kahnawake, don’t realize Tiffany’s case is still active.

“It’s like they don’t have an idea of what happened and the misconception of ‘oh it must be relief that you have closure now that you’ve got her back.’ We got her remains back, we didn’t get her back,” said Melanie.

Since 2010 the case was turned over to the SQ because of the suspicious circumstances of her death. The family said they lack closure because nobody’s been held accountable.

“We need to have people speaking about it and we still need somebody to step forward,” said Melanie.

Tomorrow’s march starts at 10 a.m. in the green space at the foot of the Mercier Bridge on Highway 132. Those unable to walk are encouraged to follow behind in their vehicle.

The march will start at the green space next to the Mercier Bridge on Highway 132 and will conclude at Tiffany Morrison's memorial site.
The march will start at the green space next to the Mercier Bridge on Highway 132 and will conclude at Tiffany Morrison’s memorial site.

Quebec Native Women president Viviane Michel as well as Don Barnaby will be guest speakers.

The family is asking people who attend the march and vigil to wear red to honour missing and murdered Indigenous women (MMIW) across Canada and the United States.

Hundreds of red butterflies made by students at Step by Step Child and Family Centre, Kateri School and Karonhianónhnha Tsi Ionteriwaienstáhkhwa will be also be displayed at the memorial site where the march will conclude.

“We put this there for the community to remember what happened and that it happened there, it happened in the community and for friends and family members to find space to reflect on her,” said Melanie.

However, recent visits to the site have caused more stress, grief and heartbreak to the family due to a growing problem of vandalism in the area such as graffiti on the benches and drug paraphernalia and empty beer bottles littering the grass.

“It’s so disrespectful. She was a community member. Something horrible happened to her and this is so people can heal and feel close to her, show their respect, and it’s being abused,” said Melanie.

+ posts
Previous articleCouncil backtracks under fire
Next articleFirst People’s Festival lineup makes a splash
Jessica Deer was a staff reporter from 2015-2018 who started out in 2008 as a summer student.