The blue line represents Line 1, which will remain in operation until 2042. Line 2 and Line 2B, which are represented in orange, will be dismantled by 2022. Line 4 will be returned to reserve status and is represented by the red line. (Courtesy MCK)
The Land Use and Dismantlement Agreement was signed between the Mohawk Council and Hydro Quebec this week, which will see the return of some parcels of land to the community.
“The negotiations for this agreement specifically began in 2012, however discussions date back to the early 2000s,” said council chief Carl Horn.
The deal means that Line 2 will be dismantled in four years, by 2022. As part of the agreement Hydro Quebec has also agreed to relinquish its interest and perpetual servitudes on Line 2B lots.
“The perpetual servitudes are the agreements that each of the original lot holders signed when the line was put in place in the 1930s,” said Horn.
Once the lines and towers are removed, Hydro Quebec will give up its rights to the affected lots which will be returned to the lot holders.
The other part of the agreement is the continued operation of Line 1, which is made up of 10 towers along the St. Lawrence, in use until 2042. After that date the agreement can be renewed by MCK and Hydro Quebec. “It will most likely remain in operation after 2042,” Horn said.
Hydro Quebec will also follow through on other parts of the agreement previously negotiated. Hydro Quebec will give up its interests in Line 3 and Line 4 will be returned to reserve status.
Mohawk Council grand chief Joe Norton, who signed the agreement Monday, said, “it will be gratifying to finally be able to once again use these lands.”
“The internal Hydro Quebec working team at MCK deserves a lot of credit for this agreement, especially past chiefs such as Kenneth McComber and Johnny Montour, as well as technician Lanny Jacobs, Paul Rice and MCK legal rep Eric Doucet,” said Horn.